A simple one-dish meal, Shakshuka is ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne, or to taste
- 1 (411g/14 oz) can whole plum tomatoes with their juices, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar fried tomato sauce/pisto (365g/12 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste, plus more as needed
- 1 ¼ cups feta, crumbled (about 142 g/5 oz )
- 6 large eggs
- chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish
The How To
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (375 Fahrenheit). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in paprika and cayenne. Pour in chopped tomatoes and fried tomato sauce, then season with salt and pepper; simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Stir in crumbled feta.
- Create 6 wells in the tomato sauce and gently crack eggs into them. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with some lightly toasted bread! Feel free to add or swap out other vegetables to your liking just to add some variety to the dish.