- 150g all purpose flour
- 200ml warm water
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp yeast
- 1tbsp warm water
- 1/2tsp sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
The How to:
- Place flour, water and salt in a bowl and whisk (on electric beater) for 2 minutes or until well incorporated.
- Yeast Mixture - Dissolve Yeast into 1 tbsp warm water in a small bowl.
- Add Yeast Mixture, sugar and baking powder into bowl, then whisk for 30 seconds.
- Cover batter and place in a very warm place for 15 to 30 minutes until the surface gets foamy. Batter volume increases by 10 - 15%.
- Grease 2 or 3 rings (approx 9 cm / 3.5" wide, or any metal shaper will do) and non stick pan with the melted butter.
- Turn heat to medium high and pour batter into the rings, about 1cm deep.
- Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface then bring heat down to medium, and cook for 1 minute - bubbles should start to pop.
- Turn heat down to medium low, until the surface is set and no more bubbles popping.
Remove rings then flip and cook the other side for some colour.
Spread crumpets with butter and sweeten with honey or jam!